Earth Day is the celebration of our home and home to all the animals and ecosystems throughout. Did you know that in some elementary schools, after Halloween and Christmas, Earth Day is the largest celebrated holiday? It is now observed in 175 countries and is the largest secular modern day holiday in the world. Here are some interesting, fun facts for you to recycle to your friends and get in the “go green” mindset.
• Each year billions of used batteries are thrown away in the United States. This constitutes 88% of the mercury and 54% of the cadmium deposited into our landfills.
• Each gallon of fuel releases 20lbs of Carbon Dioxide into the air.
• Approximately 5 million tons of oil produced in the world each year ends up in the ocean.
• Recycling 1 aluminum can saves enough energy to watch a TV for 3 hours – it’s equal to half a galloon of gasoline.
• Earth Day is a relatively new holiday and was first celebrated on April 22nd in 1970. More than 20 million Americans participated in this first Earth Day celebration.
• Earth Day was founded by the senator of Wisconsin.
• April 22nd is the first official day of spring in the Northern hemisphere and of fall in the Southern hemisphere and was chosen to be Earth Day for this reason.
• Energy we save when we recycle 1 glass bottle is enough to light a traditional light bulb for 4 hours.
• 14 billion pounds of trash is dumped into the ocean every year.
• Never underestimate the importance of recycling: if every newspaper was recycled, we could save about 250,000,000 trees each year.
• More than 20,000,000 Hershey’s Kisses are wrapped each day, using 133 square miles of tinfoil. All that foil is recyclable, but not many people realize it.
• Only 11% of the earth’s surface is used to grow food.
• A highlight of the annual Earth Day ceremony at the United Nations is the ringing of the Peace Bell that was given to the UN by Japan. It is made from coins given by school children to further peace on our planet.
Let’s try and make our home a much greener place to live… – Happy Earth Day!
Field of Flowers will be celebrating their annual Springtime Blooming Plant Celebration from Sat 4/13 – Sat 4/20 at the Boca Raton, Davie and Miami Flower Markets.
Stop by to win prizes & take advantage of our sale, SAVE 20% OFF all Designer Springtime Blooming Plant Arrangements & Grower Pots which include Hyacinth, Daffodil, Tulip & Hydrangea plants.
Every Sat during our celebration will have a FREE 2pm Design Demo.
Our skilled designers will show you the best techniques on how to create a stunning arrangement using fresh Springtime Blooming Plants.
No Reservations, No Fees, Just Fun!!!
Bring Family and Friends and enjoy learning together…
Don’t leave after the demo our designer will raffle off their arrangement to one of our lucky attendees!
Thanks for reading… www.fieldofflowers.com 1.800.963.7374 (1.800.96.FRESH)
You can call, click or come in to one of our Field of Flowers flower markets in Boca Raton, Miami or Davie, FL for over 100 varieties in store every day…plus supplies, vases, containers, everything you need to express yourself with flowers. Make your own arrangements, or order exquisite arrangements by our floral designers. Pick up in-store or ship fast and fresh locally or worldwide.